Saturday, October 28, 2017

Week 8: Be his disciples and feed his sheep

So, a couple of weeks ago after General Conference I wrote about Sherry, a 70 year-old woman with Multiple Sclerosis who wanted to make that first covenant to follow her Savior and be baptized by someone holding the proper authority- and this past Saturday she did! She was confirmed this Sunday and now she's a member of the Church with all of the blessings and joy and peace that comes when we make choices to follow our Savior throughout our lives and to truly become His disciples.

The actual act of being baptized was physically difficult for her, considering she's 70 and frail and can barely move with her MS, so the fact that she had enough faith to do it was so great to see, and watching her make her way into and back out of the baptismal font were probably some of the scariest 5 mins of my life (5 mins each way- it was a slow walk down those 3 steps). But she did it!

I know her Savior is so proud of the faith she's already shown Him throughout her life and I'm just glad we got to be a part of helping her come even closer to Him and to following His perfect example. 😊

Also, working as missionaries at the temple open house we get to meet so many of Heavenly Father's great children every day, and it's such an immense blessing and opportunity that not many people get to experience in their life and I'm so grateful for it!

This past week I was working in the video room that everyone goes through before their tour and a woman and her wheelchair- bound husband came in and for some reason they seemed to stand out a little, and I thought they were just a cute old member couple who came to see inside of their new temple, so we did the intro and played the video and sent them on their way like normal.

Then, later, when we switched shifts and went to the reception tent I was talking to some people when a tour guide came up to me and pulled me away, telling me this lady had some questions (it's funny how life-long members who are middle-aged and very knowledgeable about the gospel prefer to have 19 year-old girls answer questions- it must be the mantle πŸ˜‚). There were even other missionaries around who weren't talking to anyone, but she asked me to help answer her questions so I walked over to her and it was the same lady I had seen earlier!

We talked about her questions, and the Spirit was so strong she started crying and reached out and hugged me suddenly, telling me thank you and it was just a very cool experience that I just wanted to mention briefly because I know there are no coincidences in the Lord. I know that we're put in other's paths so that we can help them, and perhaps we're the best one's prepared to help them- only the Lord knows everything, which is why His plan is so perfect. So trust Him and always do your best to uplift all those around you and help everyone to come unto Christ (active members, inactive members and nonmembers alike).

Everyone needs to remember how much Heavenly Father loves them, that's why it's the first and second greatest commandments- to love.
"By this shall men know ye are my disciples: if ye have love one to another."

Be His disciples by loving and feeding His sheep.

Love you all,
Sister Wilcox πŸ˜ΈπŸ’Ÿ​

Our new convert Sherry, a sunset, and more temple open house pictures:

No comments:

Post a Comment