Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Week 11: Temple Tour Stories

The temple open house is done (so sad, yet happy) and once it's dedicated we're going to get to go to it every other transfer (😁). There were over 200 referrals from the open house and a lot of people came through (about 10,000 a day) with a good variety of both members and non-members. Most people lived in Idaho, Oregon, or Utah, but some people traveled pretty far to get there. Unfortunately, we don't get to be in the cultural celebration put on by the youth next Saturday, but we do get to watch it broadcasted from the stake center. And our names are put in the capstone time capsule thing for all of our help and service at the temple, which is so cool! I didn't realize they did that.

Anyways, I haven't written too many stories lately and so I'll update you all on what has been going on over here as of recent.

When I was working at the temple I met a lot of really great people, both of our faith and not of our faith, and my goal everyday was just to find at least one person that I could brighten their day through a nice, uplifting conversation. So, I talked to every person that I could and it was cool to get to meet so many of Heavenly Father's diverse children and hear all of their stories about their life and who they are. People really do just open up to missionaries and tell them everything, but it's great because I really do care and as you listen to them talk about what matters most to them it lets you get to know who they are and what they need and then "minister to the one" as Christ did.

Two young women (both members of the church) who are around my age really let me think, this past week, on the importance of opening your mouth and always proclaiming Christ's gospel, no matter what comes of it. The first one was an usher inside of the temple, so her job was to stand inside of the stairwell and direct people (and- if it got really busy, making the tour stall- she could talk to the people nearby as she stood there). So I was in the reception tent at the end and she was sitting alone on the couch holding a Book of Mormon, and she looked like a member but I wanted to talk to her because she looked lonely, so I went up and asked how she was doing. Immediately, she began telling me her story of how she just came from ushering inside of the temple and how it got pretty busy so a woman who was waiting next to her started asking her a bunch of questions about the church, and she did her best to answer them. She said that she had brought the Book of Mormon to read as she stood there, and so, as she saw the interest in the lady talking to her, she asked if the woman wanted the Book of Mormon to read it for herself to know of the truth of her words. The girl then said, "I'm so stupid, she didn't want it. I don't know why I thought to give it to her when she didn't want it." It made me so sad! I told her that she did the right thing and that we, as missionaries/members/representatives of Christ face rejection all the time- Christ Himself faced rejection as He taught His own gospel to the world- but that doesn't mean that we should ever give up on offering it to people. When we open our mouths and teach people the gospel we're keeping our baptismal covenants to always be like Him, as Christ always was going around helping people receive His word so they could be saved in the Kingdom of Heaven. He didn't care if they rejected Him- in fact, His own people did reject Him! They despised Him, and they killed Him. And He rose again and continued to love them and teach the world His gospel. So that's the example we need to follow- never give up on helping people come unto Christ and feel His love for themselves. As we truly are filled with Christ's charity we will desire their salvation more than saving our own pride from awkwardness or embarrassment, and we will be able to live Doctrine and Covenants 4.

The second young woman brought her friend through the temple (her friend was not a member and isn't even sure she believes in God) and after they left together she had come back through by herself and came up to me and wanted to ask my advice on the experience she had (I'm telling you: we really do represent Christ, and what better therapist is there than Him? All kinds of people ask us for advice, even if they're like 80 and it's so funny- I love being a missionary). So, she told me her friend went through and then said she didn't feel the spirit and even started pointing out some things that she didn't agree with in the church, and the girl said she bore a strong testimony that she didn't even know that she had to her friend, and it was such a spiritually strengthening moment for her to realize how much she, personally knows that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is the Restored gospel of Jesus Christ in it's fullness and, though she may not understand everything entirely, she has faith that it's God's way and she knows it's the right way. But, she said when she bore her testimony, though she felt the spirit so strongly, her friend didn't seem to be changed at all. I assured her that she did what any missionary would do- bearing her witness of the truth of this gospel- and that her friend still had her own agency with which she could choose to reject Christ and His gospel or to have an open heart and accept it, and maybe one day, down the road, her heart will be softened and she'll be looking for the answers and the peace the gospel provides and she'll look back and realize it was true all along, but that only Heavenly Father knows, and I know He has a plan for her specifically (as He does for all of us, as we are each His children) and we just trust in that plan and do all we can to help out.

But I just want to end saying I know that as we turn outward and focus less on ourselves and our imperfections and shortcomings and pride/image (what people think of us) and just always be looking for ways to help others, that's when true happiness comes as we're developing within ourselves the character of Christ. So, I invite you all to continue to look for ways you can help others, whether it be small acts of service or inviting them to learn about the restored gospel of Jesus Christ, find a way to be an angel in someone's life and it'll in turn lift your own as well. And it might not always turn out how we plan, but trust in Heavenly Father and His plan and His timing, and always be willing to do what He asks.

How could the Father tell the world of love and tenderness?
He sent his Son, a newborn babe, with peace and holiness.
How could the Father show the world the pathway we should go?
He sent his Son to walk with men on earth, that we may know.
How could the Father tell the world of sacrifice, of death?
He sent his Son to die for us and rise with living breath.
What does the Father ask of us? What do the scriptures say?
Have faith, have hope, live like his Son, help others on their way.
What does he ask? Live like his Son.

-Mabel Jones Gabbott (He Sent His Son)

You might wonder what we do on p-days since we are sort of in the middle of nowhere. I usually bake and we do some sort of fun zone or district activity, but we haven't been hiking yet. There are other areas that are better for that, and it hasn't snowed yet! Hopefully it holds out until at least December!

We watched three (three!) primary programs this past Sunday (11th ward did their's twice: once for their parents and then again for the YSA branch) and it was so adorable! In 7th ward's primary program four little boys were singing together and it was so pricelessly cute! Someone in front of me recorded it (not sure that that's allowed.... but since he did it already I figured I might as well benefit from the video as well 😅) so he sent me the link on Youtube. Unfortunately, I can't access Youtube, but all of you can watch the cuties if you'd like: https://youtu.be/L6WYwx07FEM

Family is the best! Love you guys too! Thank you for all you do!

Sister Wilcox

Does the sign look appropriate for me?

With my companion, the mission president and his wife.
My fellow temple guides.
My zone

No comments:

Post a Comment